When you find yourself in the position of having to sort through sentimental stuff be sure to break the project up into manageable time blocks. If you find yourself completely overwhelmed take a break and sleep on it. A good nights sleep can give you a new perspective.
Questions to ask while de-cluttering sentimental items
- If you were shopping today would you buy the item in the current condition?
- Is the item displayed in a decorative way that is pleasing to you?
- Is the item in good repair?
- Do you have room for the item in your current home?
- Does the item give you feelings of guilt, regret or anything negative?
If you answered no to any of the questions above you should get rid of the item. Donate, trash or recycle it if your time is limited or if it does not have great worth. Invite friends or family members over to pick out the nicer items you may want to give away. If you decide to sell the item you may want to try an online auction site or an estate sale.